Saturday, August 21, 2010

What is the best way to straighten my hair without using chemicals?

I am a Black woman. I've chemically straightened my hair for almost twenty years (my Mom started it). I would like to stop using chemicals, and don't want to cut the already straightened hair... I don't want to do dreads or braids either since my hair texture is very thin and doesn't take braids very well. I also don't want to use the old fashioned stove hot combs.





I've seen the newer electronic ceramic hot combs? Do those actually work? How would it affect the already permed hair if I accidentally hot comb relaxed hair. Flat irons usually help my new growth, but I'm concerned about flat ironing long term. I have no problem with kinky hair. I'm afraid of hair breakage where the virgin hair and relaxed hair meets. I'm also open to anything else.





fyi... my hair type is currently thin and delicate, but soft. Virgin hair is semi-kinky. I must wash my hair every four days... any more and it gets dried and damaged, any less and it begins to get sticky, funky and unstylable.What is the best way to straighten my hair without using chemicals?
I am a natural black woman. When I transitioned from relaxed to natural, I found it's very easy to experience breakage if you don't cut off the relaxed hair. Since you don't want braids, have you considered straw curls? That's a good way to blend two textures. Also, I've never used an electric hot comb but I've heard they work. It may break off your hair at the weak point where the relaxed and natural hair meet. Good luck!What is the best way to straighten my hair without using chemicals?
Well you are going to have to let your perm grow out and since you have been using chemicals it's not good to use alot of heat. I don't know what to tell you but you are just going to have to weigh it out. But i do not advise putting any heat on it, well not 2 mcuh.
Sometimes it can be really hard to give a for sure answer to this question, being a black woman myself it seems like almost anything can be damaging to the hair. If you want your hair straight but don't want to use chemicals, i suggest getting your hair pressed. If its done the right way there shouldn't be any damage, just growth. Also keeping in mind the upkeep like trimming the ends. The downside is, if water comes in contact with that newly pressed hair theres no relaxer to fall back on. good luck
long first post so w/e, just try using straightening irons.

No comments:

Post a Comment