Saturday, August 21, 2010

How can I CORRECTLY flat iron my relaxed hair.?

One day my friend straightened my hair with a Cortex straightner and it came out perfect- straight and BOUNCY, So I went out and bought the exact same one.. but somehow when I did my hair it wasn't bouncy and it was kinda big and poofy. So I've come to the conclusion that it is the technique that I use to flat iron my hair that isn'y giving me the same result. So can anyone explain to me EXACTLY how to get the same result I got when she did it ? ( straight and bouncy)How can I CORRECTLY flat iron my relaxed hair.?
Well first, before straightening your hair you should ALWAYS spray it with heat protector or else the heat will eventually fry your hair.


Second make sure each part of your hair is nice and brushed out before straightening.


Also, don't drag the straightener along your hair slowly-that's bad.


Instead drag it across at a medium pace as many times as needed.


That's really about it. How can I CORRECTLY flat iron my relaxed hair.?
You will need something to put in your hair to make it pliable, shiny, soft, etc. before you start. Paul Mitchell super skinny is good, and my favorite is Chi Silk Infusion, but they are ONLY guaranteed to work if bought at a salon! After you put about a nickel sized amount into your hand, then rub hands together and apply EVENLY throughout hair. If you have difficult peices around the hairline, you can apply very small amounts there. *NOT TOO MUCH HAIR WILL BECOME GREESY*





Then you will need a comb with very close teeth. A barber comb is what I use. Start at nape area. You need to comb through each section before straightening it. If you get the technique down, follow your comb closely *(not too closely as your comb will melt unless its hard plastic or rubber)* with the straightner to make sure all knots and kinks are out when straightner runs over the strand. After all done, spray brush with hair spray and brush through the hair to minimize static.
Hi, I wear my hair natural now but this is the routine I used to follow. You need a good flat iron first becuase you won't get good results with a drug store one. I also recommend one with thinner plates becuase this makes it easier to get to the roots. Before I discovered a good regimen my hair would just look frizzy I never got movement or shine, like yours.





(before any heat put a heat protection product in to put a layer between your hair and the heat and don't do this every day or every week)





YOU WILL NEED: Plastic cap/plastic bag, blow dryer, medium sized rollers, heater or portable hair dryer, flat iron, deep treatment conditioner, moisturizing shampoo (optional), leave in conditioner, protein treatment, heat protectant product, wrap lotion. Whew~!








1. Shampoo hair with moisturizing shampoo. I've heard good things about Pantene, L'Oreal, Herbal Essences, Clairol, Organix, Giovanni Direct etc. If you have any on hand, apple cider vinegar can also shampoo hair quite well.





2. Protein treatment in hair. I heard the Aphogee treatment is good. Wash out after 15 minutes or so. Do not apply heat while protein is in hair. Protein is just to coat strands since relaxed hair can be very weak and you are about to put heat on it which can weaken it further.





3. After the protein treatment of choice, put a deep conditioner in hair and put plastic cap (or a plastic bag if you're ghetto like me) over hair. Sit under a dryer for 15-30 minutes. If you don't have a dryer you can do a deep treatment without heat but you should leave it on hair at least an hour. There are lots of deep conditioner treatments out there. I like the all-natural ingredients so I mix 1/2 cup olive oil+1 tsp honey+1/2 cup coconut/avocado/jojoba oil into hair and leave in for 25 minutes under a dryer. Whipped shea butter is also a good deep treatment.





4. Rinse out deep conditioner. Use a good leave in conditioner.





5. Next, roll hair on medium sized rollers with a wrap lotion. Apply each section with wrap lotion and then roll up.





6. Then sit under dryer until hair is about 70% dry.





7. Remove rollers and blow dry the hair with a round brush section by section . Apply a heat protectant product over hair to put a layer between strands and straightener. I like Tresemme.





8. Finally go over hair in small sections (the smaller the sections the better it will straighten) with a flat iron from root to tip. Apply some anti- frizz serum. And you're done.





Also this is one regimen, there are tons of ways to straighten hair. And tons of products to use. Youtube.com is a great resource. Find out what you hair likes. Hope that helped.



No comments:

Post a Comment