Thursday, August 19, 2010

The best way to straighten mixed hair?

I'm 13 years old and am mixed with black, white and indian. Right now, I straighten my hair with a steam flat iron and use Lo real, Tresemme, or Herbal Essences shampoo/conditioner.


I do a pretty good job, but I want to know how I can do better without getting a perm or going to a hairdresser.


My hair is about three inches past my shoulders, but it grows fast.


Also, I wanted to know how I could curl it when it grows out a little more.The best way to straighten mixed hair?
i'm a mutt as well and i know exactly what you need. I get relaxers but they are very damaging and it's hard to find someone who can do them right, but the pay off is worth it. Since you're going the natural route, I would recommend a brand name non steam flat iron. My first one was Helen of Troy and i swore by it, now i use a generic chi. Also, it's important to use a good smoothing cream before you blow dry your hair. I use Frizz-Ease but a professional would recommend against it. However, It really flattens your hair nicely and makes it shiny. As for shampoo and conditioner, I use Infusium 23. when you iron it, start from the back and do layer by layer...it takes a while but the more effort you put into it the better the result.





I have just started experimenting with curling irons. I bought a 2 inch barrel my first time around and found that it didn't give any curl, so now i use a 1 inch an it's perfect. Use a little hair spray and the curl will stay longer








hope this helps!The best way to straighten mixed hair?
I would try to blow dry your hair as straight as you can first using a straightening product that you would put into your hair while it is still wet. I think John Frieda Frizz Ease has some good ones. Once it is dry, section it off and try using a ceramic flat iron instead of the steam one. The best ones can be very expensive starting at $100 for a CHI or something like that. But I think Revlon and most of the other brands at the drug stores these days have pretty good ceramic flat irons too. :) When you're done straightening I would put a dab of gloss serum through your hair. The Frizz Ease line has that too.
Since you are 13 I would suggest a Just For Me perm. I use them on my daughters. Make sure you follow the directions very carefully. If done wrong you could be scarred. I know you mentioned that you are mixed but that doesn't explain what type of hair you have. One of my daughter's has very course hair that takes more after the african american side. The other daughter has hair more like mine. So of course I use different products for each of them. Try going to a beauty supply store that carries hair care products for all types of hair and ask them what they suggest.
I know a few people that actually use an iron for clothes.. if you don't want to do that, just keep using the flat iron. When you blow dry your hair, run a comb through it the entire time you're drying it. Don't use a brush, it will make your hair more prone to split ends while your hair is wet. You can also get shampoo/conditioner to make your hair more straight. Just be careful what kinds of products you put in your hair, as it may weigh it down or make it look greasy. As for the curling, get a wide barrel curling iron. They're better for longer hair, you can wrap more hair around the barrel. That's what I use on mine and my hair is around the middle of my chest area. Hope it helps, and good luck.
The best way for you to straighten your hair without getting a perm or going to the hairdresser is what you are doing now. I don't know of a better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment